Siri, I’m leaving you for another. Her name is Alexa.
I’m in love. Her name is Alexa. Last night, she played a mix of relaxing dinner music and some Maroon 5. She told me what I had on my calendar for the day while I sipped my coffee during breakfast. This afternoon, she helped me decide whether or not to go to the beach and played back the days news. And she wooed me by buying dog food and guitar pics (I’m not hard to please). I didn’t have to lift a finger. I just asked and she complied. That’s the beauty of Alexa from Amazon Echo, the latest in artificial intelligence for your home that could seriously change how we shop for items in the near future.
You simply have to try her to get a real sense of her wonderfulness, but here is a quick list of her skills:
- Play music from your Prime account, or services like Pandora and Spotify
- Answers questions, reads audiobooks and the news, reports traffic and weather, gives info on local businesses, provides sports scores and and more
- Link to your Google Calendar
- Make purchases from your Amazon Prime Account
- Controls lights, switches, and thermostats in your home
I haven’t gotten this excited about a new piece of technology since the introduction of Siri and the iPhone. I fear I’ll be forever spoiled, frustrated at having to actually type into a keyboard in order to get anything done.
Sigh. Scotty, I feel your pain.
“Hello Computer” scene from Star Trek IV, The Voyage Home