Understanding Instagram for eCommerce Sellers
Facebook may have the bulk of social media traffic, but Instagram has a leg up when it comes to interaction. Instagram boasts over 300 million monthly users (more than Twitter) and 68% of them actually interact with content, compared to 32% on Facebook. Instagram users tend to be more in tune with lifestyle and react more to visual stimuli. Makes sense since 90% of information transmitted to our brains is visual. Oh, and they are a lot younger! More than half of their users are between the ages of 18 and 29.
So how do you get to this interactive, hip, young group?
- Create quality photos.
- Put products in a lifestyle setting. Don’t just post pictures of your product on a plain white background (this isn’t eBay). If you’re selling running shoes, post a picture of someone jumping in them.
- Make your photos pop with text overlays, movement and music. Ripl is a super easy tool that helps you create text overlays and mini videos with photos in just minutes. It’s a great way to announce a sale.
- Repost other people’s photos (with their permission) and start a conversation (are you seeing a theme developing?). Repost is a great tool to help.
- Avoid the hard sales pitch. Instagram users are looking for an experience, not a direct pitch for a product.
- Use hashtags, at least 5 for each post.
Unfortunately, Instagram only allows a clickable link in the bio. However, a company called Curalate has created Like2Buy, a tool that makes your Instagram feed shoppable.
- Drive Sales with Instagram, Kissmetrics
- Twitter Vs. Facebook Vs. Instagram: Who Is the Target Audience?, Investopedia
- eBay OPEN 2016, Social Media Workshop with Jordana Reim